Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bamboo Shoot Soup

So finally comes my Bamboo Shoot soup. My nephew Sarthak chose soup over stir fry, and since it is his last day here in Mumbai I decided to oblige him with a soup.

When I was thinking about what kind of soup would be nice I decided to go to the local supermarket for some veggies. I found Panama Sweet Corn and Canned mushrooms instead. I remember, as a child, Vasai was a relatively small town. You didn't find many exotic ingredients here (Yes! Mushrooms were considered exotic back then.) There was only one store in Vasai, Sandeep General Stores, which stocked canned button mushrooms. I have always been a fan of mushrooms, but I hadn't had those canned delights in a long time. It was only a few days ago that I felt like eating those mushrooms again. And there they were! Talk about the law of attraction!

So here is my own version of Bamboo Shoot Soup with canned mushrooms.

Ingredients
1/2 cup bamboo shoots finely chopped
5 to 6 button mushrooms chopped
1/2 cup carrot grated
1/2 cup french beans chopped
1 cup canned sweet corn
salt to taste
pepper to taste
4 to 5 cups water
2 tsp olive oil

Heat the oil in a wok. Throw in the fresh veggies and stir fry for some time. Add the water and bring it to a boil. Add the corn, salt and pepper as per your taste. Boil the soup for about 5 minutes and serve hot!

This is not a soup for everyone. Not everyone would like the strong taste of bamboo shoots. It is, to say the least, an acquired taste. Much like fish. But for those who like it, it is the flavor which rules. You don't want to mask the flavor by using strong ingredients like garlic. Keep it basic. That's the way it tastes best.

The sweetness of the corn, carrot, and french beans beautifully offsets the taste of the bamboo shoot. The pepper gives the right touch of well... pepperiness! The mushrooms and the bamboo shoot by themselves are... heavenly pungent!

So if you are someone who has a palate for bamboo shoots, go ahead and try this soup.





Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment