Friday, March 25, 2011

Banana chocolate chip bread

The credit for this recipe goes to my good friend Jayanti. I read Jayu's message to me this morning and her recipe was so tempting that I decided that it will be my breakfast today. Whaddya know, I did have a couple of overripe bananas lying around!

I tweaked the recipe a bit. I added some things that weren't there, but I am sure that even without them the recipe tastes amazing.

Ingredients
  • 1 and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3 tsp refined flour (Maida)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 5-6 tbsp powdered sugar (depends how you like your cake; sweet or semi-sweet)
  • 5 tbsp butter
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 3 tbsp chocolate chips
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
  • a pinch of baking powder
  • a pinch of baking soda
  • 2 to 3 drops vanilla essence
Sieve the whole wheat flour, maida, baking powder and baking soda together and keep them aside. Mix the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla essence and cinnamon powder together.

Beat the three eggs for a few minutes. Mash the bananas and add to the beaten eggs. Add the butter-sugar-cinnamon mixture. Lastly add the sieved flour and the chocolate chips. Mix well.

This will be a sticky cake-like batter. Pour this into a pre-greased baking tin.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and push the baking tin on the lower rack. Bake for about 20 minutes or till a knife inserted into the center emerges clean.

What an aroma! Such a delectable mix of  banana,  vanilla, chocolate and cinnamon! Bite into a warm slice and I am sure it will warm the cockles of your heart as it did mine. Nothing like healthy soul food!

Here is what it looked like.





Tut  tut to my husband if he doesn't get  a taste of this when he returns. :-P

Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

  1. :D i like the addition of the chocolate chips and the cinnamon pwd. Wll try it the next time. :))

    ReplyDelete