Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bilmacha Loncha

Now here is one thing which I don't know how to describe. This trip to Goa was the first time I ate it. It was so sour... ooh! My mouth waters every time I think about it.

I had gone looking at my usual spot in front of Shantadurga temple for my starfruit. Imagine how disappointed I was to learn that it wasn't yet in season! Damn! I guess he must have seen the gloom on my face, as the shopkeeper quickly pointed out to a tiny little fruit. It looked like tendli or gherkins. It  was a translucent green colored insidious looking fruit. Oh, but when you bite into it! The sour juice trickles down your tongue and tickles your taste buds!

It is normally eaten only with salt and red chilli powder, but I decided to go ahead and make a tempting pickle out of it.

Ingredients
  • 15 to 20 bimla or bilimba (you can substitute it with 4 to 5 starfruit)
  • 3 large tablespoons red chilli powder
  • 1/2 cup grated jaggery
  • 2 to 3 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
  •  a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
  • 3 tbsp oil
This has to be made fresh and eaten fresh. You may store it in a refrigerator for about a week at the most. It is best if you finish it as soon as possible.

Chop the bilimbas (or the star fruit) into small pieces. Mix the salt, red chilli powder and jaggery in a bowl and add the bilimbas. Mix well.

Heat oil in a pan, and add the mustard seeds to it. Once they begin crackling, add the asafoetida and transfer immediately to the bowl containing the pickle.

Serve as an accompaniment in your regular meal.





Happy Cooking!

1 comment: