Monday, May 16, 2011

Corn, Peas and Potato Sandwich

There is nothing great about making a sandwich. Or, that is what I used to think. Until I had a taste of my friend Sucheta's sandwich. Sucheta is a great cook (albeit vegetarian) and makes wonderful recipes on Sundays for her family. I was lucky to be a part of few of those and taste her awesome sandwiches. Not to mention, my kid loved the sandwiches. What a great way to get some veggies into her tummy!

This morning, I made  sandwiches with corn, peas, cottage cheese and potatoes. Also, I always use brown bread instead of white bread unless absolutely necessary. Switching to brown bread means switching to health.

The best part is, Saee gave me a thumbs up! I got my reward already :-)

Ingredients

  • 10 slices of brown bread
  • 2 medium potatoes boiled and peeled
  • 1/2 cup peas, boiled
  • 1/2 cup corn, boiled
  • 1/2 cup grated cottage cheese (I make mine at home)
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
  • 1 to 2 tsp barbeque sauce
  • 1 tsp mixed dry herbs
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • butter
  • salt to taste
Heat a little olive oil in a wok. Stir in the chopped onion and saute till the onion becomes translucent. Add the corn and the peas and toss around a little bit. Now add the mashed boiled potatoes and give it a good stir in the wok. Lower from the heat.

Now add the grated cottage cheese, turmeric, red chilli powder, mixed herbs, dark soy sauce and barbeque sauce. Add a little salt to taste. Mix it up well with hands.

Now butter both sides of the bread, and spread a little of the above mixture on one slice. Place the other slice above the spread and toast the sandwich till it browns on both sides.

Cut into triangles and serve with green chutney or tomato ketchup. A healthy breakfast is ready!



Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment