Friday, May 27, 2011

Dhaba Daal

Karma is a bitch! Good song. Bhaag D K Bose... Another catchy song. Can't  help humming the songs as I fly by the city on my two wheeled friend. Not to mention, it gives me immense unmeasurable pleasure swearing. The humble helmet makes sure that I am not heard. Nevertheless, once in a while it does you a world of good to let a geyser-like outpouring of swear words. Especially when your voice sounds more like metal rubbing on metal than the sweet melody of a songbird. These songs suit a voice like mine.

My source of irritation today is the common cold. Its common-ness makes it all the more irritable. Some one has it and it is just very common for them to share it with you. What's more... it isn't globbing up. It's more like a leaky faucet that just drips no matter what you plug in there. You have your hanky ready all the time. But you are in the middle of an important discussion with your boss, and there it is. That ever so innocent little droplet trickling down your nostril. Damn!

I have seen that I tend to write infinitely better when I am irritated. Frustration gives you lots of creative thoughts I guess. ;-)

Okay, one more thing. I just finished making a patchwork quilt for my newborn nephew (Disha's son) which I couldn't resist posting here. There are two pictures. It's not mind-blowing, but for a first attempt I think it is a decent job. :-) Note: I have also done some fabric painting.

Here's my recipe for today.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup split black gram (urad dal)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 3 dry red chillies
  • 1 pinch asafoetida
  • 1 small onion finely chopped
  • 1 tomato finely chopped
  • 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • fresh coriander finely chopped for garnishing (optional)
 Pressure cook the black gram along with turmeric, red chilli powder, and salt till it is soft. Mash it as much as possible.

In a wok, heat oil and add the cumin seeds, red chillies and asafoetida. Throw in the chopped onion and saute for two minutes or till the onions are translucent. To this, add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute. Finally add the tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes go tender.

Now pour the mashed black lentils to this and bring the curry to a boil. Now add the butter and allow it to melt completely. Garnish with coriander and serve hot!








Happy Cooking and Happy Doing-Whatever-You-Like!

No comments:

Post a Comment