Thursday, May 26, 2011

Jeera Aloo Gobhi

Newsflash! Yours truly has finally joined a gym wherein she is going to sweat her butt into shape again. That destination is a long time to come, but the process has begun (and will hopefully be maintained in the days to come.

God knows how I am going to do it though. Shrikant has no faith in me whatsoever. Zero, zip, zilch. He has given me fifteen days. Maybe, even seven. (Those are the number of days in a month he thinks I'll actually make it to the gym!) I hope to prove him wrong. I don't know if I can, but I'll try.

And with this Project, my kind nutrition consultant has advised me to go off sugars, refined flour, oils, and everything good in life. How does one survive without cheese! But health first, I have to reduce at least fifteen kilos if I am to be anywhere near the respectable end of the normal weight range for my height.

Here's a recipe which I made with almost no oil. Okay, there was a little oil, but really very little indeed. Yet, it tasted awesome.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cauliflower florets
  • 1 potato peeled and chopped into large pieces
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp coriander powder
  • salt to taste
Heat the oil in a wok and add the cumin seeds. Once they begin changing color add the potatoes and the cauliflower florets. Saute for a minute and add all the other dry spices and salt. Pour a cup of water and bring it to a boil. Now lower the heat, place a lid on the wok, and allow the vegetables to cook in their own steam for about ten minutes.

Poke a spoon into the middle of a floret. If it slices the floret through and through, the cauliflower is cooked and your vegetables are ready to be served hot!



Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment