Friday, May 13, 2011

Rice Kheer

The last three days have been insane. Now that I have a new job, I have had to juggle a lot of chores everyday and go to work, which leaves me bone tired in the night, and inexcusably, lazy to write my blog. I profusely apologize for that.

But that does not mean that I haven't been making new recipes. Just that I haven't been writing them on my blog that's all. I will post all three recipes for the last three days today, right here, right now.

The first is rice kheer. It is simple to make and delicious. Combine it with a poori and you have a sure shot winner on your table.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup rice
  • 4 cups milk
  • 1/4th cup clarified butter or ghee
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp cardamom powder
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
  • 2 tbsp broken cashew nuts
  • 2 tbsp raisins
Wash the rice and drain it.

Heat the clarified butter or ghee in a wok.  Add the drained rice to it, and fry till the rice becomes light to feel and slightly pinkish brown in color. Keep it aside to cool. Meanwhile bring the milk to a boil.

Once the rice has cooled, put it in blender and blend it till you get a grainy consistency. Do not add water. You do not want to make a rice paste. Just finer grains of rice.

As the milk boils, add the rice and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer it for around 15 minutes. Press a grain of rice in between the thumb and index finger to see if the rice has become soft.

Once the rice has become completely soft, add the sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, cashew nuts and raisins and boil for five more minutes.

You can either serve it hot, or cold like a pudding, whichever way suits your taste.

Happy Cooking!

(pics will be posted in the evening)

No comments:

Post a Comment