Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Falafel

There are some who ask me how I find the time to do all these things. Then there are those who say that they should learn time management. I myself, have not a single clue how or why am I able to do a lot more than others (if that truly is the case). I don't think much about it honestly çause I grew up with a superwoman in my house, my mother. The amount of work she fit in her day... is an unimaginable humongous task for me.

As for the falafels, they really are quick and easy to make. No fancy preparation. Just a little thinking ahead of time. If you want to make them for breakfast, soak the chickpeas overnight, the night before. That's it.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup chickpeas soaked overnight
  • 1 bunch coriander
  • 1 green chilli
  • 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 4 tbsp plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate
  • salt to taste
  • oil for frying
Pressure cook the chickpeas for fifteen minutes or till they are completely soft. Allow the cooked chickpeas to cool.

Blend the chickpeas to a thick paste with coriander, cumin powder, green chilli powder, and salt. Add very little water if required. The paste has to be very thick.

Remove the paste in a container. Add the plain flour and soda bicarbonate.

Heat oil in a wok. Make sure the oil is atleast two inches deep. Shape the falafels with the help of two spoons dipped in oil. Slide the shaped falafel on one spoon into the oil, with the help of the second spoon.

Fry till they are dark golden brown on both sides. Remove them from the oil and drain them on kitchen towels.

Serve hot with tomato sauce.



Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment