Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Narli Bhat - Sweetened Coconut Rice

This is not a recipe for me. It is a memory from my childhood. It represents for me a lot of things. Narli Poornima for one, and a warm dessert for another. This recipe is made best by my mother. She is a really talented cook. I did make it yesterday and I did not fare too badly. It came pretty close to tasting the way my mother makes it.

I love this recipe for its simplicity. It doesn't take a lot of efforts or any fancy ingredients. Just your basic stuff will do.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups long grain rice
  • 2 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
  • 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
  • 2 tbsp condensed milk (mom doesn't add this, but I added it for its richness)
  • 2 cups water
  • Dry fruits (raisins, cashews, almonds etc. if you have them)
  • a pinch of saffron (if you have it)
Wash and soak the rice for two hours. Drain the rice and keep it aside. 

Heat the ghee in a non-stick wok. Add the drained rice to this and saute for two minutes. Add two cups of water and bring to a boil. Cook for about ten minutes till the rice grains are soft but still separate. 

Add the sugar, coconut and the remaining ingredients and stir well but carefully, till the moisture is soaked up.

Serve warm.

Happy Cooking!

1 comment: