Saturday, October 15, 2011

Prawns Koliwada

I love prawns. But they seem to have given my little daughter a mild allergic reaction. My brother was allergic to it too. In his case he would simply eat them and take an antihistaminic later.

Saee got the reaction for the first time, and there didn't seem to be any mosquitoes in the room, so logically I thought it must be the prawns. My doctors mind began ticking in the middle of the night thinking what I should do. Calamine on the skin and antihistaminic syrup later, my Saee was sleeping like a baby. She is a baby!

Ingredients
  • 200 g prawns shelled and de-veined
  • 3 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder (gives a lovely color while not being too hot)
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
  • juice of one lemon
  • salt to taste
  • 4 tbsp plain flour
  • oil for deep frying
  1. My idea of de-veining the prawns is to run a small sharp knife all along its back right to the tail and then just lift the vein up. Most people in India  just pull out the vein, but there's a chance of breaking some part of the vein within. 
  2. Wash the prawns two to three times in fresh water.
  3. Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and salt. Mix well.
  4. Marinate for at least half an hour. If you are going to marinate more, keep the fish in the refrigerator.
  5. Heat the oil in a deep wok. Roll each prawn in plain flour and fry for two to three minutes.
  6. Eat hot!
Happy Cooking!



No comments:

Post a Comment