Sunday, December 11, 2011

Vegetarian Pasta (Farfalle) with Tomato Alfredo Sauce

My sister-in-law's nephew was in town and I called him home. I asked him what did he want to eat, and his two words were.. Surprise me. His only condition was that it shouldn't be Indian and Chinese. Anything else will do.

I had been dying to try out Italian cuisine for a while, and this was a perfect opportunity. I made small portions of four different recipes, and they were an instant hit with everyone.

Instead of making the regular fusilli or macaroni, I decided I'll make the farfalle or the bow-tie pasta. They look really attractive, and as per my plan, my daughter fell for it. All of them were gone from her plate into her tummy in a jiffy! Thanks to that man who first invented pasta! Three cheers!




Ingredients
  • 3 cups  farfalle
  • 5 cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
For the tomato alfredo sauce
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
  • 6 to 7 cloves of garlic crushed
  • 2 medium onions chopped
  • 1 cup carrot chopped
  • 5 large tomatoes chopped
  • 2 tsp pasta seasoning
  • 1 tsp paprika flakes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tsp sugar
  • grated parmesan cheese to garnish
  1. Boil the water in an open saucepan with 1 tsp salt in it. Once it comes to a boil, add the farfalle and keep stirring occasionally. Boil for around 6 to 8 minutes till the pasta goes completely soft. Drain all the water and toss a teaspoon of  oil in it to make sure that the pasta doesn't stick to each other. Keep aside. 
  2. Heat the olive oil in a wok, add the bay leaf and rosemary. Add onions, garlic and carrots and saute on high heat for five minutes. Toss in the tomatoes and saute for eight to ten minutes on medium heat. Add a cup of water and bring to a boil.
  3. Add the dry spices, salt and sugar and cook for two to three minutes more. Turn off the heat and let the sauce cool down to room temperature.
  4. Blend the sauce to a thick puree in a blender. 
  5. Place the pasta in a serving bowl and pour the sauce generously on top of it. Garnish with parmesan cheese and pasta seasoning.
Happy cooking!

    !

    1 comment:

    1. Hi, let me know if I can publish this recipe in my emagazine DNS, DNS is promoting food bloggers from India by publishing recipes from Indian blogs based on a monthly theme giving full credit to the author/blog.
      if you are ok then mail me your short bio and pasta/spaghetti recipe to

      ver.neha@hotmail.com
      Check my website here www.dinenshare.com

      ReplyDelete