Friday, January 11, 2013

Spicy Potato Soup

I found this recipe on The Pioneer Woman and was intrigued. I have made many soups before, but making a soup out of the humble potato just never crossed my mind. I decided to try it, but made a few changes of my own. I didn't use the bacon, because my husband doesn't like it.

You can find the original recipe here.

Ingredients
  • 2 medium potatoes finely chopped
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 10 cloves of garlic finely chopped
  • 2 carrots finely chopped
  • 2 spring onions chopped
  • 1 sprig of parsley finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp plain flour (maida)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 litre chicken stock (I made mine out of maggi soup cube)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Heat the butter in a soup pot, and add olive oil to prevent the butter from burning. Add the garlic and saute till it turns brown, but don't burn it. You can save some for garnishing.

Add onions and saute till soft. Add the remaining veggies, salt and pepper and saute for five minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Let the veggies go soft.

Now mix the flour and milk and add to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil, and drain out all the veggies. Remove half the vegetables and blend them to a paste. Put the vegetables and the puree back into the soup. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Garnish with cream, shredded cheese or burnt garlic.

Serve hot.

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment